With the summer travel season well under way, families across the nation are packing their luggage and headed off to stay in hotels and vacation rentals. Bed Bug Awareness Week is coming this June 4 – 10, 2018 and the pest control industry is taking this time to remind those who are traveling to brush up on the basics of bed bugs to avoid bringing these pests home.
Over time, Bed Bugs have become a growing concern as their numbers continue to rise. A recent survey, conducted by the NPMA (National Pest Management Association) and the University of Kentucky, found that 99.6 percent of extermination companies were asked to treat for bed bugs in the past year.
"Understandably, the rise in bed bug populations in recent years has many people concerned," said Cindy Mannes, vice president of public affairs at NPMA. (See Business Wire article)
"Bed bugs are equal opportunity pests and are found in five star hotels, summer camps, dormitories — anywhere there is a steady source of a blood meal, and no one wants to bring them home. That said, people may unknowingly transport bed bugs more so during the summer months when vacation travel activity is at its peak."
How to Avoid Bed Bugs
The NPMA recommends the following prevention tips to help avoid pesky bed bugs:
- Thoroughly vacuum the insides and outsides of suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your sheets for blood spots made by bed bugs.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trash bag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Use a small flashlight to assist with visual inspections.
- Never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of bed bugs.
- Inspect pet’s sleeping quarters for signs of bed bugs regularly.
- Hire a professional pest control company to eradicate an infestation.
At Bug-N-A-Rug Exterminators, we are fully experienced in the elimination of bed bugs no matter where they are in your home. Give us a call at 910-754-9700 and we’ll come to your home, do a thorough inspection, and tell you what we find; we’re pretty great at Bed Bug Removal!