The Trick To Keeping Nuisance Wildlife Away From Your Wilmington Property
December 18, 2020
When taking steps to protect your home from pest problems, you might think of pests such as spiders, flies, wasps, and ants. You might not even think about dealing with nuisance wildlife, but these pests are frequently found around Wilmington properties.
Different Types of Wildlife
Wildlife refers to any and all wild animals that haven’t been domesticated. While it can be exciting to see some species of wild animals from far away, they can be a big concern when they get into your property. Some of the most common nuisance wildlife in the area are raccoons, bats, skunks, squirrels, and chipmunks. Here is a brief overview to help you identify wildlife in Wilmington.
- Squirrels are extremely common and are large rodents with dark eyes and bushy tails. They are usually grey-brown or reddish-brown in color.
- Raccoons aren’t rodents, but they are small species of mammals that have mask-shaped markings around their eyes and ringed tails.
- Bats are flying mammals that is known for spreading pathogens and disease. There are many risks associated with bats. Their bodies are furry, and they have leathery wings. They are nocturnal.
- Skunks are mammals that have extremely bushy tails and triangular-shaped faces. They are black in color with white striped markings.
- Chipmunks are another species of rodents that belong to the squirrel family. However, they differ from area squirrels by the white, black, and brown striped markings that run down their backs.
The Many Problems Wildlife Bring
Even wildlife that appears small and harmless can be more dangerous and destructive than you might think, and because they are much bigger than a small insect, it is difficult to remove them.
The biggest overall concern with wildlife is the health issues they can cause. Raccoons, squirrels, and bats are commonly known to carry and spread disease including rabies, salmonella, and even the plague. They can also carry parasites and cause allergic reactions. While rare, skunks, bats, raccoons, squirrels, and chipmunks can bite if threatened which could lead to secondary infections.
The second big concern with having wildlife around is property damage. Squirrels and other rodents can get into things like bird and pet food, and they can damage all kinds of materials with their constant gnawing. Having rodents and other mammals around your yard can damage your gardens and landscaping.
Eight Wildlife-Prevention Tips
In order to protect your yard, yourself, and your family from the risks associated with wildlife, you can take steps to prevent them. The best preventative measures involve removing factors that attract them in the first place with a focus on removing food sources and access points. Here are eight of the best ways to do so:
- Keep pet food stored in airtight containers and indoors if possible.
- Remove bird feeders or at least place them somewhere where most animals can’t reach them.
- Trim bushes, trees, and shrubs on a regular basis.
- Remove organic debris from your yard, including leaf piles.
- Stack firewood neatly and store it about 30 feet from the exterior of buildings.
- Place fitted lids on outdoor trash cans.
- Clean up any outdoor food and drink spills.
- Remove any dropped or decaying fruit and vegetables from the property.
How To Prevent And Remove Wildlife Safely And Effectively
While there are steps you can and should take to prevent wildlife on your Wilmington property, the surest way to handle wildlife concerns in Wilmington is to contact the experts at Bug-N-A-Rug Exterminators. Our technicians are qualified and trained to handle the prevention and removal of a variety of common wildlife species in the area.
We have over 20 years of experience helping area residents protect themselves and their families from pest problems, and we are committed to quality services at affordable prices. Get started, or learn more about our wildlife control options, by calling us today.