What Not To Do About Termites On Your Wilmington Property
May 14, 2021
Most people know how dangerous and destructive termites can be. Unfortunately, far too many property owners only worry about termites when their activity is obvious, which means damage has likely already occurred. Learn how you can save yourself from big costs with early prevention and fast response by professionals.
Termites: Destructive & Dangerous
Of all the wood-boring pests in the world, termites are the most well-known. That’s for good reason. Termites don’t need to sleep, meaning their populations can toil all day, every day, chewing through subterranean woods until they hit structures and score on a goldmine of fresh lumber. Once they find ways inside of homes and businesses, termites can quickly cause structural damage, which increases your risk of collapse. Not only is this costly, but it’s also potentially dangerous, as caving roofs and walls can lead to serious injury. That’s why it’s much better to preempt these kinds of infestations with frequent steps to protect your yard from invasion. While there are things you can do to help your cause, there are truly no guarantees of pest control outside of expert assistance.
Too Many Homeowners Try DIY
It may seem like a smart choice to try and deal with a pest infestation on your own. Why pay someone when you can handle something on your own? Well, the short answer is -- you can’t! Average property owners simply aren’t equipped with the knowledge or treatments to fully eliminate a termite colony. Not only are these subterranean pests tricky to get to, but some do-it-yourself methods that appear to work will also really only cover up the cosmetic signs of the problem. Instead, the best course of control is to contact pest professionals right away. If termites or other destructive pests are already a concern on your property, don’t try to deal with it on your own and potentially make things worse. All of the following should be avoided:
- Orange oil: The latest essential oil craze is orange oil extracts, which can indeed melt through an insect’s exoskeleton to kill them off. The problem is that termites reproduce in the thousands and can easily find ways to burrow around any areas with applied oils, so it’s more of a frontline defense than a true solution.
- Vinegar: Not only is there little evidence to support the claim that vinegar is a useful pest prevention solution, but it also runs into all the same problems as other household remedies in that it won’t address the root of pest problems.
- Chemical sprays: Only experts know which sprays are potentially harmful to you and your loved ones, not to mention the ones that will actually work against certain species of pests. Instead of paying for expensive sprays that you can’t verify, trust pros right away.
Prevention Tips You Can Trust
While termites can be nearly impossible to contain once they start, every property owner can take steps to reduce their risk of infestation and damage. Here are some proven methods to help control termite populations:
- Landscaping: Keeping decorative plants trimmed isn’t just important for keeping your property looking its best, it’s crucial for pest prevention. Termites, especially, can use tree limbs or bushes as initial targets before they attack interior structures.
- Wood storage: Properties with wood piles or other yard debris make for attractive targets for termites looking for new territory to claim.
- Crack sealing: To keep termites from entering your property from exterior walls, you need to routinely check for and repair any cracks or holes, no matter how small. While this is a good maintenance step for pest protection, keep in mind that termites can take advantage of subterranean faults that you can’t easily access and fix.
Guarantees Come From The Pros
The harsh truth of the matter is that every termite control method comes with a big asterisk next to it -- none of them are guaranteed to work. The only way to truly make sure termites stay away is with regular help from expert technicians. At Bug-N-A-Rug Exterminators, our friendly staff can help you separate proven prevention methods from wive’s tales. Our thorough inspections will help you identify any problem areas or attracting factors, not to mention help you make sure that termite populations aren’t growing outside without your knowledge. If termite damage is already apparent, act fast by contacting the professionals today, before the damage mounts and leads to even more dangers.
To protect your property from termites and other destructive pests, contact Bug-N-A-Rug Exterminators today.